Bernardo Cartoni, FCIArb is a triple qualified lawyer (admitted to the Bar of Italy and Poland and enrolled as a Solicitor in England and Wales); currently Of Counsel at Ovoli Frugoni Romero, a boutique law firm based in Rome and Madrid.
Bernardo is listed in the SHIAC Panel of Arbitrators, in the HKIAC List of Arbitrators and he is also a member of several arbitral institutions spanned all over the world (LCIA, SQICMC, CAAI, AIA, AtlAS, ASA, Delos, MCN, Lewiatan, etc.).
Bernardo has also written some papers on arbitration-related issues (some among the latest ones are about: a) Third-Party Funding in Hong Kong and Singapore; b) Witness Preparation; c) Belt and Road Initiative and Dispute Resolution; d) Fast Track Arbitration and COVID-19; e) Arbitrator’s bias between Halliburton and Sun Yang). He is also a member of the Swiss Chinese Law Review Advisory Board.
He will be a speaker at the UNCITRAL Conference about “International Commercial Legislation – Trends and Perspectives” (to be held in Doha next November) addressing the topic: “Interim Measures in UNCITRAL Model Law on International Commercial Arbitration – Problems, Challenges, and Perspectives”.
Bernardo regularly serves as a volunteer arbitrator in the Vis Moot and the FDI Moot and recently joined the AIAC Academy Panel Tutors and the CIArb Approved Faculty List.
- Transnational disputes (Litigation and Arbitration)
- Corporate Law (including M&A)
- International Law
- International trade (including Sales, Franchising, Agency)
- IP rights
- Construction Law
- Others (Criminal Tax Law, Tax Law, Sport Law, Real Estate, Maritime Law, Transportation Law)
Seasoned, versatile professional with a diverse legal background spanning across litigation / arbitration, and construction, taxation, real estate, corporate, FDI, criminal, sport, and maritime law. International background with experience working in Italy, Poland and Spain; well-versed in legal regulations associated with other nations. Hands-on experience managing international deals with high-profile corporate clients with repeated success in achieving positive outcomes in complex cases. Refined expertise in case analysis, motion preparation, and deposition management.
Previous Law Firm
- 2/2021 – now, Ovoli – Frugoni – Romero Law Firm, Rome (Italy) and Madrid (Spain), of Counsel
- 4/2010 – 12/2020 Kancelaria Prawnicza Bernardo Cartoni i Wspólnicy, Warsaw (Poland), Founder and Managing Partner
- 1/1998 – now Studio Legale Cartoni, Rome (Italy), Founder
- 5/1995 – now Angeloni Law Firm, Montefiascone (Italy), of Counsel
- 11/1993 - 5/2007 and 3/2017– now Andreoli Law Firm, Rome (Italy), of Counsel
- 1/1998 – 3/2002 Ferrazzani Law Firm, Viterbo (Italy), Associate
- 10/1992 – 12/1997 Ferrazzani Law Firm, Viterbo (Italy), Junior Lawyer
- 02/1991 – 11/1993 Ghia Law Firm, Rome (Italy) Trainee
LL.M. (University of Rome “LA SAPIENZA”, 1992)
CIArb Courses on International Arbitration 2013-2015
WIPO Courses on IP related matters 2018-2022
- Bar of Rome
- Bar of Warsaw
- Law Society, London, UK
- Centro di diritto penale tributario (Centre for criminal tax law), Turin, Italy
- SCLA Swiss Chinese Law Association, Geneva, CH
- ECLS European China Law Studies Association, Hamburg, Germany
- International Bar Association
- AIAC Academy (Tutors Panel), Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
Membership in Arbitral Associations / Institution
- CIArb – Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, London, UK
- LCIA – London Court of International Arbitration, UK
- SHIAC – Shanghai International Arbitration Center, PRC (also as mediator)
- HKIAC – Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre, HK
- ASA – Association Suisse de l’Arbitrage, CH
- AIA – Associazione Italiana per l’Arbitrato, IT
- Lewiatan Court of Arbitration, PL
- AtlAS – Atlanta International Arbitration Society, USA
- SAC – Scottish Arbitration Centre, UK
- Delos Dispute Resolution Network, FR
- MCN – Mediation and Conciliation Network, IN
- CAAI – Chinese Arbitration Association International Arbitration Centre, TW
- SQICMC – Shenzhen Qianhai International Commercial Mediation Center, PRC (as a mediator).