Renewable energy and commercial property lawyer since 2011.
Prior to moving in-house with a leading independent developer of renewable energy projects, Saroash has held senior private practice positions in top tier Scottish, national and multi-national law firms. Her work is primarily in Renewable Energy and Commercial Real Estate however she is also experienced in Corporate matters.
- Vast experience in acting for developers in relation to numerous onshore wind farm developments, solar farms, battery energy storage systems and emerging technologies.
- Experience includes site sales/acquisitions, securing rights under options to buy/lease, agreement for lease, servitudes/easements, wayleaves, cable crossing agreements and assisting through the financial close process with project funders.
- Assisting on the financing and refinancing of UK renewable and energy projects, including due diligence, preparation of certificates of title and direct agreements.
- Negotiation of power purchase agreements with utility scale offtakers and aggregators.
- Negotiation of onshore lease agreements for substations, interface agreements and onshore land rights for cabling and access.
- Joint development agreements, heads of terms and letters of intent.
- Negotiation of the property, project finance aspects and power purchase agreement for Crossdykes Wind Farm (46 MW) – the first subsidy free wind farm to enter the balancing market in the UK. Crossdykes is the first phase of a large development and is set to make renewables history in Scotland.
- Worked on a variety of commercial contracts that arise on the development, construction, and operation of power projects. These range from early stage letters of intent setting out the points of principle to be incorporated into transaction documents to grid sharing agreements and offtake agreements.
- From working in-house with a developer, heavily involved in the project lifecycle helping the client with the design and structuring of the project and related contractual structure through to the negotiation and finalisation of commercial contracts. Examples of contracts include Turbine Supply Agreements, Balance of Plant contracts, Turbine Maintenance contracts and mitigation contracts with National Air Traffic Services for onshore wind projects.
- Acted for all parties in classic commercial property, banking, and property finance transactions. Including: acquisitions; disposals; commercial leasing for landlord and tenant; franchise leasing for hotels; secured lending and property finance for commercial and individual borrowers; development and estate management.
- Acted for McDonalds, KFC, Starbucks and Costa Coffee in respect of their franchise sites, including drafting and negotiating franchise leases.
- Managed a portfolio of retail stores as part of the £1 billion St James Shopping Centre re-development scheme in Edinburgh, Scotland. Involved the closure and relocation of a number of retail stores such as Next and River Island.
- Qualified general data protection regulation officer.
- In-house legal manager at Muirhall Energy – independent developer of renewable energy projects
- Ennova Law boutique firm of specialists (renewable energy specialist)
- DWF leading global law firm (renewable energy and real estate associate)
- Pinsent Masons multinational law firm with offices across the UK, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia (renewable energy and real estate senior solicitor)
- Shepherd and Wedderburn top tier UK national firm (renewable energy and real estate solicitor)
- Lindsays Scottish Law Firm (traineeship)
- 2008 - 2009 Diploma in Legal Practice (DipLP) - United Kingdom
- 2004 - 2008 Law with Honours (LLB Hons) - University of Aberdeen, United Kingdom
- Member of the Law Society of Scotland (since 2011).
Admitted as a Notary Public – Law Society of Scotland.